Tuesday 18 August 2009

93. Have someone trust me to look after their dog or child

I now have an inkling of why my friend said she was ill each time I offered to babysit so she and her husband could go out for a romantic meal.....last week was asked by someone to look after their two budgies again after the first time was a lot of fun for birdies and for me. It was so nice to come home to a house with two beautiful blue birds tweeting and going about their business. Anyway, it was all going well until last Wednesday when the two birds seemed to be cosying up to each other a lot in the little house in their cage; they’d not done this before, and I remarked on it to my partner. However, when I got home the next day, there was a fatality. The bigger of the two was lying at the bottom of the cage, so in tears, I called the owner who wasn’t due back until Saturday. Funnily enough, he was about an hour away having decided that three weeks’ holiday was too long. So instead of crying, I then started wondering why the budgie couldn’t have held on for 24 more hours. Anyway, I didn’t enjoy handing over a corpse, nor did I relish the card that they gave me which says: “A big thank you for looking after the bird(s)! Ooops!!” They were very nice about it, saying that 6 years of age is quite old for a budgie, but still.... To make matters even worse, I bought them an orchid to help apologise, which I then realised I had left the price on which now makes it seem that I was only £19 worth of sorry. So I may not achieve this particular item on my challenge list!

1 comment:

  1. Aww poor you!! These things happen though and thats a great age for a budgie and its not like you actually did anything wrong. If you keep working at it, by the end of this challenge everyone will be calling on you to look after their children and pets!!

    ReplyDelete