Friday 14 August 2009

60. Drive around Silverstone in a car with more than a 1.6 engine

I mention 1.6 in particular because I was involved in a fleet event where I drove a Renault Clio 1.6 around the track, hence the caveat of a bigger engine for my 101 in 1001 challenge. However, I had the opportunity to go back to Silverstone very soon after I'd finishing compiling my 101 in 1001 list. It was for a magnificent Renault summer fleet event which ended up being filmed! http://www.renault.co.uk/corporate/whyrenault/renaultevents.aspx
After briefly meeting former BTCC champion Jason Plato and his Fifth Gear co-host Tim Shaw, we started the day with a couple of driving exercises which included throwing the New Renault Grand Scénic a very, very difficult course and then manoeuvring a Renault Trafic van in a confined space which unleashed my inner white van man....Then – the track bit complete with crash helmet! I started off with another Grand Scénic, except this was an automatic –which was an interesting experience for me! Then whizzed around the track in a Mégane Coupé which was absolutely brilliant. Made me realise just how talented a racing driver and how you have to know the circuit inside out to hammer round at top speed. Then after whizzing round, we did the opposite and drove excessively slowly trying to get the maximum mpg possible out of a Mégane Hatch, still beaming from the track experience!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an awesome experience and an interesting thing to choose for your list. glad you enjoyed it though, i bet it was fun manoeuvring round that track.

    ReplyDelete