Friday 31 December 2010

18. Make more friends - I keep losing mine to motherhood :(

This is a really hard one. I used to have some fabulous, close friends but they live abroad, so while we have a blast when we see each other, I don't feel that we can call on each other to bare our souls or share our deepest secrets with each other in the way we used to. I also had a few friends in this country who have all become mothers, which is fine, but every conversation is about children's sleeping, children's eating, children's clothes, babies' nappies. Again, that's fine, but most of my friends can't reel off all of this stuff without telling me that my life is empty without children. "Oh you wouldn't understand", and "you're running out of time" are the two most common comments, and the most recent (and hurtful) one was "are you celebrating Christmas? Isn't that pointless without a child in the house?".
However, I have made two new friends during the course of the 101 in 1001 challenge. One is 76 and an amazing, worldly woman. The other is 29 and sees the world very much in the same way I do. I miss having a best friend, but am going to tick this item off the list!!

1 comment:

  1. Have to admit i can't believe your friends would be that insensitive! Its not for others to decide what we do in our lives.

    Making new friends is hard and you can meet friends in the strangest places and realise people are your friends without realising it.

    Glad you have created some new friends and all the best for 2011xx

    ReplyDelete