Tuesday 14 June 2011

88. Do something great in the field of recycling

Gosh this sounds arrogant (which is quite uncharacteristic of me); but I think I was aiming high, trying to do something to stop things going to landfill, such as the thousands of video tapes that head that way every day.

I have been a one-woman campaign to try to reduce the number of carrier bags that are used. Unfortunately, most people actually don't care about this. When I worked in a supermarket, you'd be stunned at how many people got quite tetchy when you asked them if they'd brought a bag. When you decide to do the "weekly shop", why would you turn up without a single carrier bag? I made this point to a woman in Tesco who offered me a bag when I had bought a packet of bread sauce and she was so rude when I said I'd put it into my handbag, that I honestly thought about complaining. But since when did Tesco care?!

Anyway, this isn’t something I can really claim the credit for; this is all MrPBR.
MrPBR is a smashing bloke and has a big heart. Even in his job, he does lovely things every day for the local community. One of these is to fund a local project where anyone in our town who is over the age of 80 gets a Christmas parcel with some festive food inside.

More than 3,000 people qualify, and thanks to a tie up with the supermarket in town (of which there are three from the same chain), each one was to be handed over in a plastic bag. I asked if these could be either linen or a “bag for Life”. MrPBR reports that they’re going to be delivered in a Bag for Life, so hopefully each one of the 3,000 will get reused and reused. I hope so.....

No comments:

Post a Comment